What is Buscopan®?
Buscopan® is an antispasmodic medication which specifically relieves stomach pain with cramps.
Buscopan® works directly on the muscles where cramps occur, relaxing them and relieving stomach pain2. With Buscopan®, you can be confident that you are targeting the site of stomach cramps.
Buscopan® is the #1 selling medicine available in pharmacy for stomach pain with cramps1.
What are the differences between Buscopan® and a general pain reliever? (paracetamol/ibuprofen)?
Buscopan® acts where the cramps and pains occur – in the stomach & bowel (digestive tract) and has a two way action that relaxes the cramps to relieve the pain. General pain relievers work differently by blocking pain signals. They do not relax cramping muscles.
How do I take Buscopan®?
It is recommended to swallow Buscopan® tablets whole (do not crush) and with plenty of water. For more information, please refer to the Consumer Medicine Information leaflet inside the pack or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Can Buscopan be taken during pregnancy or lactation?
Buscopan® is not recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you are suffering from stomach pain with cramps and are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should consult your doctor.
What causes stomach pain with cramps?
Common causes of stomach pain with cramps include:
- Sensitivity to certain foods that trigger stomach pain, such as fatty, spicy or highly seasoned foods, caffeine, alcohol and acidic citrus fruits.
- A hectic, stress-filled lifestyle, skipping meals, eating on the run and anxiety.
- A change from your normal daily routine, for example when travelling, which can unbalance your digestive system.
- IQVIA Pharmacy Scan, Antispasmodic Segment – Value and Volume Sales MAT May 2021
- Buscopan Product Information, September 2020.